Benaras is a great city that has a lot of cultural significance. It is referred to as Kashi or Varanasi and is a holy city of the Hindus. Here I wish to share with you a recipe from the Banaras kitchen. Check out the quick and easy recipe for Malai Palak Paneer.
Tender Spinach Leaves- 2 Cups
Paneer/Cottage Cheese Cubed- 200gms
Finely Chopped Garlic- 2 tsp
Sliced Onions- 1 Cup
Red Chilly Flakes- 1 tsp
Chopped Green Chillies- 1tsp
Butter or Ghee- 1 tbsp
Whole Cumin Seeds- 1 tsp
Fresh Cream- 2 tbsp
Freshly Milled Pepper Corns- 1tsp
Freshly Grated Nutmeg Powder- ⅕ tsp
Salt- to taste
Method Of Preparation
1. First heat ghee/butter in a pan. When it gets heated, add cumin seeds.
2. Once the cumin seeds crackle, add the chopped garlic.
3. When the garlic turns light brown, proceed to add sliced onions and green chillies.
4. Add milled pepper and saute till the onions are light brown.
5. Keep on low flame, add paneer and roughly chopped spinach. Mix well and wait till the spinach wilts.
6. Add red chilly powder and stir well so that the flavour seeps in.
7. While adding paneer, keep the flame low so that the paneer does not stick to the base.
8. Pour in fresh cream and nutmeg powder. Mix well and cook for a few minutes on a low flame.
The dish goes best with chapatis or naan.